Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Seriously, this Montréal as the new Seattle/Manchester/etc thing has got to shut up

I'm reading a review of the new Broken Social Scene album and the writer states three times that band is from Montréal. This drives me crazy. I had to retaliate. This goes beyond civic pride. I simply cannot stand bullshit journalism and the artificial trends it spawns. I wrote a letter.

To the editor:

Despite your lazy attempts to crown Montréal some kind
of indie music paradise, I regret to inform you that
Broken Social Scene is in fact from Toronto. Its
members are in various Toronto bands. Simply having
Canadian citizenship does not obligate a musician to
be from Montréal. This becomes especially
embarrassing for you when you make statements such as “the
sound of 21st century Montréal is coalescing..." What?
500 km away in another city? Or, "Broken Social Scene refuses to ride on Montréal's momentum". That has less to do with refusal and more to do, again, with geography. Get it together.

Genet
Toronto (not Montréal)

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger JR said...

You tell them.

The writer's daughter is probably taking theatre at McGill, or some shit.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, if they were from Montreal wouldn't they sing in french?? HEHE

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! I WANT MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey did the editor respond? If so, please, I've got to hear it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me