Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I am 5 years old again... Maybe I always have been.


Some banter at the office resurrected early 80s TVOntario children's programming the other day. Of course, this initiated an interweb seach. Holy fuck. I loved those shows. 'Today's Special'- hello, did you not want to live in Muffy's apartment? 'BodyWorks' and those boys in the trademark Adidas shorts (thanks fellas for letting me know I was a homo)... not to mention the theme song (can be found through link above)? 'Fables of the Green Forest' scared the shit out of me. The theme song for 'Passe-Partout' made me all weepy (I was a melodramatic and strangely nostalgia-driven child). I wonder if we could trace a discernable developmental pattern in Ontarian children reared on these shows... If we take me as the control, a large percentage would be: homosexuals exiled from gay "culture", slightly intoxicated with seediness and the underworld, easily addicted to just about anything, emotionally unstable on the inside and stoic/disinterested on the outside, intellectually superior with no sacred cows (except TVO). Should I apply for a research grant?

5 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Genet said...

Wow, your name is apt... Did you not notice that when the "friendly, talking" animonsters ran, the background didn't change... that's not freaky?

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Martyloo said...

The theme song for the "Fables of the Green Forrest" is simultaneously sad and creepy, a kind of synergy of harmonic dissonance. Listening to that music made me want to strangle things.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger JR said...

The Green Forest theme was happy, until they pictoralized the "bad animals." They scared me. As did the Doctor Who theme song, which came on right after Today's Special.

I wanted to be Muffy so I could hump Sam.

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it was time to change the channel when I heard the Dr. Who theme come on.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Genet said...

It seems all of us were petrified by Dr. Who. Could it be that Dr. Who was programmed specifically at that time by Big Brother to condition small children to associate edutainment/happiness with inevitable terror? Could that have been the pre-cursor to mass cultural dumbing down and soulless corporate/consumer culture? Discuss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me