Thursday, November 17, 2005

I need coffee more than I thought

Last night, I watched a doc about coffee and a certain fact intrigued me. Pre-coffee Europe was a thoroughly alcoholic place. The average Frenchman drank 7-8 litres of wine a day and a substantial amount of pure alcohol- and their consumption lagged behind their Germanic neighbours. With the popularization of the coffeehouse, Europeans had a non-intoxicating beverage to consume in a social setting. Some historians attribute the acceleration of social and political discourse in part to this development since people could carry on a sober conversation.

What does this say about my life?

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger PDD said...

That you are better off drinking a 40 before having a cup of coffee in the morning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me