Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Acid House Years

I brought my external hard drive to work today and have been listening to some old acid house, which I still love. Actually, I have a bittersweet relationship with the music as it reminds me of my adolescence. When I was about 14, I was very much into Inner City (remember 'Big Fun', 'Good Life', whatever). Knowing that the other boys would whip my groin into a frenzy, I felt ostracized and simultaneously superior somehow... I think living in the suburbs intensified this as I saw myself as a 'downtown' kind of guy- very urban, nocturnal and underground. I would stand on the apartment balcony on winter nights, longingly looking towards the downtown skyline with a mug of hot chocolate in my hand and Inner City playing in my head. Yes, I may decry this as hilariously pretentious now, but did I ever feel like the coolest, most world-weary Grade 9 in Don Mills. Why all these memories of teendom this week? I have no fucking clue.

3 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger PDD said...

You were superior! You were by far the most interesting person to talk to in highschool. Remember the leaf doors? And I don't just say this because I love you and I think you are fantastical now. I say it because it's the truth.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger PDD said...

Remember FF's party and what a disaster I was that night?

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Genet said...

Yes, I do remember FF's party and your... problems that night. And I remember the leaf doors as well. I was superior, dammit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me