Thursday, November 10, 2005

'The Last Supper' - Damien Hirst







These three images are from a series of prints done by Damien Hirst entitled 'The Last Supper'. I've been strangely attracted to this series for a while, both aesthetically and conceptually. I find them both funny and disturbing. Apart from having a fetish for graphic art, I think the familiarity of the images works to the advantage of interpretation. The simplicity of these prints belies some interesting questions they pose about mortality, existence, pleasure, commodification, even the politics of the phamaceutical industry.

Why do I bring this up today, you ask? I stumbled into them on the net, for one. But after seeing the pathetic footage of Paris Hilton and her new boyfriend (what is it with her and Greeks lately?) after their car accident, this seemed to perfectly capture how vapid, conformist and manufactured much of our culture has become.

4 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger PDD said...

Watch out, Paris is heading for you next.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couple of things..

1. Now I know that you're a fellow apinkisthenewblog.com addict too.

2. There used to be a bar in London called Pharmacy, that Hirst decked out with walls of pills, and bar stools done up as Asprin pills. I took my teenage brother there and fed him Absinthe. I wish I could have stolen a bottle for you.

3. Your blog is f'ing making me blow a stitch.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Genet said...

Thanks, Sam! Absinthe sounds delicious right now... we'll have to arrange something.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger JR said...

I'll have the morphine chicken soup.

As for Pink, I'm glad his blog hasn't been toned down by corporate America... yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me