Monday, April 03, 2006

... and then the Holy Water started boiling ...

In a display of true commitment and fake religious conviction, Tenis' fiancé got baptised into the Greek-Orthodox Church. He's German... or rather, he was until Saturday. Now, he's one of us. He had to do this in order for them to get married à la grec, which our family kind of insisted upon solely for maintaining tradition.

The ceremony was hilarious. He was asked to "renounce Satan" and most strangely, he had to turn his head, blow three little puffs of air followed by three spittles. This was his symbolic "bye-bye" to Lucifer.

Then, shockingly, the preist brought us to an enormous cauldron. I kid you not. I imagined they would throw a bucket of water at him or something, but no, he had to climb a ladder and was dunked three times. I had a very hard time keeping it together.

After the baptism, the priest said to me: "Now it's your turn for us to marry you". I just replied that I really don't think that will be happening.

4 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok kudos to the bf. Can I jump into a cauldron when we get married ? -saus

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger PDD said...

SAUSAGE!!!!!!

Okay this story is truly hysterical. It should appear in the New York times, or at least in the Onion.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger PDD said...

OMG! Genet, you must go to the phoenix's blog and read his most recent post which is Monday April 3/06. Read the entire post. I promise you you will piss. You will also find my comment in the comment section.

http://jayrey.blogspot.com

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend I feel your pain - I was once cornered by the priest and my parents asking me why he hadn't seen me in church, and why don't I introduce you to my cousin from Athens. I literally found a way to climb the wall to escape

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Could Use Me